PT Cruiser -- Anti-sway bars upgrade?
Jim Kent
2004-05-20 14:24:08 UTC
We have an '01 Limited, 22K, perfect condition, never had any warranty
claims even. Love the car to death. Except for one thing: the amount
of body lean into even moderate cornering is a lot more than I like.
So I'm thinking that upgrading the anti-sway bars wouldn't be a bad
idea. Has anyone installed any of the aftermarket bars? Opinions?

There are a couple of viable alternatives, including products from
well-known sources like Eibach, and some less known (to me anyway)
like "Progress" and "Suspension Techniques". Here are some links

<http://www.ptcruisermart.com/index.php?page=shop/normal_product&category_id=9fd8d3c094eaa5719976f9c253b68b15&product_id=24&ps_session=9a4548bf1762d17360e630371b6a1a5a>
<http://www.performancecenter.com/products/?sf1=CHRYSLER&sf2=2001&sf3=PT+Cruiser&category=Suspension+%26+Chassis&productcategory=Anti-Sway+Bars&searchtype=d&sortorder=ADA>

Thanks for any input you can offer.
Bill Putney
2004-05-20 22:51:15 UTC
Post by Jim Kent
[...]
Jim - I don't know the PT in detail, but a generic solution that may
help (with either your existing sway bar or a beefier one) is
polyurethane sway bar bushings. They are stiffer than the OEM bushings,
and so add to the spring rate of any sway bar - and they are very
inexpensive and will last the life of the vehicle.

For info. and ordering, go here:
http://www.suspension.com/

That's their home page. Their page that lists their parts for specific
Chrysler vehicles (including the PT is:
http://www.suspension.com/Chrysler-fwd.htm

A couple of comments:
(1) The fact that they show only one size sway bar in the PT table is a
good indication that there is only one OEM sway bar available on the PT
(if that assumption is wrong, I'm sure that someone will correct me on
that - perhaps there is a beefier aftermarket bar?), and
(2) The fact that they list your vehicle specifically is good because it
means that their part is plug-n-play with the factory bushing brackets
(I point that out because for some cars, like my Concorde and all other
LH vehicles, they don't have a purpose-made part, so I had to buy
bushings off of their "universal" part page to fit the diameter of my
sway bar, and the OEM brackets don't fit their universl part, and the
bracket they supply with it has to be modified by cutting and welding in
order to fit the frame).

Many people, including myself switched over to the Energy Suspension
polygraphite part because they last infinitly longer than the OEM parts
(i.e., don't fall apart, don't wear out, don't squeek because they are
graphite impregnated). The fact that they stiffen things up (make your
sway bar act stiffer than it is with the spongier OEM bushings) is a
bonus - but in your case, that is what you are looking for, and the
other benefits are secondary.

You might as well get their rear bushing set too to stiffen that up a
little - every little bit helps. $9 for fronts, $16 for rear set. What
other truly noticeable upgrade can you do for $25 plus shipping and a
couple of hours of your time?

Bill Putney
(to reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
address with "x")

Bill Putney
2004-05-21 01:32:24 UTC
If the PT end links have rubber bushings (instead of rigid ball
joint-type end links like the LH cars) you might also consider the end
link kit on that same page too to help stiffen the sway bar (i.e., add
to its apparent stiffness). $15 (each side or is that a pair?)

Jim Kent
2004-05-21 03:01:29 UTC
Post by Bill Putney
a generic solution that may
help (with either your existing sway bar or a beefier one) is
polyurethane sway bar bushings
Hmmm. Should have thought of that myself. Actually though I don't
think there's any hope for the OEM bars. They're just too small and
the CG is too high. There's nothing that's going to turn a PT into a
Porsche, but I'd like it a little less '47-Cadillac-ish.
Richard
2004-05-21 13:49:58 UTC
Post by Jim Kent
Post by Bill Putney
a generic solution that may
help (with either your existing sway bar or a beefier one) is
polyurethane sway bar bushings
Hmmm. Should have thought of that myself. Actually though I don't
think there's any hope for the OEM bars. They're just too small and
the CG is too high. There's nothing that's going to turn a PT into a
Porsche, but I'd like it a little less '47-Cadillac-ish.
I have an 01 Limited myself. It handles nicely with just a hit of
understeer. Best improvement was getting rid of the Goodyear OEM tires and
replacing them with Continental Extreme tires in the OEM 16 inch size.

The rear suspension beam to which the 01's rear sway bar is attached acts as
a sway bar itself, and with a design modification, Chrysler has removed the
rear bar itself since 03. Be careful. Too much rear sway bar action will
turn your beast into an oversteer creature that will get you into trouble.
Chrysler itself offers a factory approved bar set for the 01 Limited you
might consider if the better tires don't do it for you.

Richard.
M_Kurumistu
2004-05-23 05:49:44 UTC
I put the Eibach sway bars on my '03 GT, and it has made a HUGE
difference in the way she handles. I've also heard good things about
both the Suspension Techniques and the Progress bars.

M Kurumitsu
Bill Putney
2004-05-23 15:07:07 UTC
Post by M_Kurumistu
I put the Eibach sway bars on my '03 GT, and it has made a HUGE
difference in the way she handles. I've also heard good things about
both the Suspension Techniques and the Progress bars.
Ahh - so it looks like there are some good aftermarket upgrade
solutions. Good info.

M_Kurumistu
2004-05-23 22:05:01 UTC
If you want *tons* of info for aftermarket stuff for the PT,
go to this link:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/default.asp

I've been using those forums from before I got my PT GT, and
they've been invaluable in terms of what to get, what's
available, and just all around coolness.

Right now my GT has the Eibach sway bars, H&R coilovers, a
front strut tower brace, the Mopar BOV, and a functional
dual scoop ram-air hood. The modding bug bites hard when you
have a PT Cruiser....

M Kurumitsu